Thursday, June 16, 2016

My Tech Infused Lesson: Padlet








I've heard of Padlet often, however, I had never used it until recently.  Now that I've used it once, I'll be using it again!


What is Padlet?  Padlet is a virtual wall that is used to collect thoughts and information.  It's like an online piece of paper that can display anything content.


My Tech Infused Lesson:  


My 8th grade students were given the following directions:


You are going to create a "poster" on padlet.com  (Links to an external site.)
You poster/padlet should include the following:
1) Name of the College
2) Location of the College
3) 2 year college or 4 year College
4) What programs are offered that interest you about this college?
5) About how much will it cost to attend this college?
6) What choices are there for housing?
7) What extracurricular activities are offered?
8) Why do you want to go to this college?
9) What type of degree do you want to earn?
10) Why is it important as an 8th grader to understand the costs associated with attending college and how to plan and save for the first year of college?
11) at least 3 images that display your college
12) extra points: include a video that is about your college
This was an introductory lesson about college costs and savings.  (There was a vocabulary lesson prior to this one so they were familiar with college lingo.)  I wanted my students to experience looking up colleges and searching for information.  The concept of college is foreign to many of my students so they needed to see what is was all about first.  
After reflecting on the lesson, I will modify the questions for next year by adding clues on possible places to find the information.  My students enjoyed this and it prompted lots of questions and good discussions.  I saw their interest in college and what it had to offer increase.  I also feel like I need a What is College? lesson to add to the introductory vocabulary lesson.  Overall, my students did a great job and I look forward to making it even better next year!


What other questions would you add to their research?  Do you know any good websites or activities that would help students understand what college is all about?


No comments:

Post a Comment